Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about What-to-Know and other Pregnancy topics.
An ultrasound is typically performed a couple of times during a woman's pregnancy. It is basically an x-ray that uses sound waves to make a black and white picture of your baby and your surrounding organs. It is used for a variety of reasons, including the following:
* Confirming the due date.
* Diagnosing multiple pregnancies.
* Checking for problems, such as spinal defects.
* Checking on baby's development.
* Estimating the amount of amniotic fluid.
* Looking for causes of vaginal bleeding.
An ultrasound is painless for both mother and baby. A small devices is placed on your belly, and the image is transmitted on a computer screen.