Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Pregnancy Planning and other Pregnancy topics.
As you begin to plan for your pregnancy, you'll want to do everything you can to create a healthy environment for your baby and a healthy pregnancy for you. There are, however, several pregnancy planning precautions that you should keep in mind. Since you may not know that you have actually conceived for several weeks, you'll need to begin practicing these precautions as soon as you begin planning your pregnancy.
* Avoid alcohol.
* Avoid smoking, even second-hand smoke.
* Don't use drugs. If you are on any prescribed medication, consult your doctor.
* Don't eat uncooked or undercooked meats.
* Wash all fruits and vegetables before eating.
* Do not handle cat litter, which can carry toxoplasmosis, an infection that can cause birth defects.
* Do not handle toxic chemicals, including those often found in paint thinners, cleaners, and other household products.
* Do not refinish old furniture or remove old paint that could contain high levels of lead.
* Stay away from saunas and hot tubs.
* Let medical providers know that you might be pregnant before any x-rays are performed.
|Sheri Ann Richerson|